Boston – Castle Island

Last night, Ava, Olivia and I arrived in Boston for a long weekend with Aunt Katie. As I noted on Facebook: “After 1,200 miles, three hours, five partially-watched DVDs, four trips to the bathroom, two complete meltdowns, countless lollipops and only one glass of wine, we’ve finally landed in Boston. When exactly does the ‘vacation’ start?”

About that time, Olivia decided to entertain us with her antics, an act she kept up until 4:30 in the morning. (Seriously.) By the time I was on my second cup of coffee this morning, I was ready to leave the kids here and head south alone.

I’m glad I didn’t, though, because today turned out to be almost relaxing. Of course, thanks to Tom and Katie, we outnumbered the children three to two, which is a near perfect ratio. (Especially for a mom that just wants to pee alone every once in a while.)

We started the day at Castle Island, on the shore of the Boston Harbor in South Boston. Here are Katie and Tom at the shoreline with the girls.

We had lunch at Sullivan’s, a food stand that offered lobster rolls and fried clam bellies—along with 80 cent hotdogs.

Our picnic table overlooked the harbor—thankfully we had abundant sunshine to offset the rather chilly winds.

The girls ran off what energy they had left tumbling down the hills and chasing the gulls and geese.

After a driving tour of downtown Boston (during which the girls snoozed peacefully), we headed north to Concord. More soon!

1. Posted by Bryan on November 11, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Looks fun! Wish I was there!

2. Posted by Laura on November 11, 2010 at 10:08 pm

I agree! I love the photos of the girls chasing the geese. Have a wonderful trip!

3. Posted by Laura on November 11, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Oh, and Josh says: “Lobster rolls and 80 cent hot dogs is my version of heaven.”

4. Posted by Doug Smith on November 11, 2010 at 11:35 pm

I think Greta Garbo said it best: ” I vant to pee alone.”

5. Posted by Karyl on November 12, 2010 at 6:27 am

Even when he is sick, he makes jokes! Dad is feeling better this morning! We actually got some rain, finally – an inch and a half! Looks like the girls are having lots of fun – hope you got a little more sleep last night!

6. Posted by Gramma Great on November 12, 2010 at 8:02 am

I agree with Bryan–wish I was there!

7. Posted by jsmith425 on November 12, 2010 at 8:13 am

Thanks for the post Rebecca! The beginning was especially funny! Glad you are having a good time!

8. Posted by Rebecca's Mom on November 12, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Ditto: Wish we were there!