A milestone of sorts

A few weeks ago, Doug pointed out that I was close to reaching 100,000 blog visitors on this WordPress site. I somehow managed to miss the actual rollover into six-figure territory, but I felt like I needed to mark the occasion by expressing my gratitude for your interest in our lives.

Bryan started blogging before Ava was even a thought—nearly a decade has passed since he launched his first site. Once we moved to Kansas, I continued it, with the goal of creating virtual baby books in place of the paper versions I neglected to start.

Four years ago, I moved the blog to WordPress, and since then, we’ve seen about 70 visitors each day, or about 25,000 each year. Those figures are both exhilarating and scary. I often joke that the moms must account for at least half of those visits, but in reality, I know they are far too busy to keep that close an eye on us. So, that means others are reading about the day to day happenings in the Smith household. Again . . . exhilarating and scary.

It would be disingenuous to claim that nearly 15 years in public relations hasn’t shaped my decisions of what to share (and how to share it), but I’d like to think that overall, we’re pretty open about the highs and lows of parenting and life in general.

Over the past four years, a few posts stand out as favorites, at least according to WordPress stats:

• Thanks to what was an inadvertently obvious title, the post about our visit to the Disneyland princess salon has proven quite popular, though I’m not sure those who wandered in via Google were as impressed with my newly-minted five year old as the regulars around here were. Still, those photos—and the accompanying memories—make my heart swell nearly two years later.
  • A few recipe posts have also brought in serious traffic, like this particular martini recipe. As for the person searching for margarita cupcakes without alcohol, move along. Nothing to see here.
  • Of course, everyone seems to love posts in which I am a little too honestSeriously. You guys like those. A lot.
  • The posts about parenting are also popular. I assume it’s just because I am, ahem, so very good at it…
  • This post is easily one of my personal favorites. I suppose there’s a good chance I’m at least partially responsible for skewing the numbers here, but it’s something I refer back to when I’m missing the grandparents. Or Minnesota. Or both.
  • A few posts are just classics—exactly the kind of things we should be documenting in this virtual book of babies, like this post about Ava’s run in with a pair of safety scissors and the genesis of Olivia’s ongoing love affair with tiaras.
  • And, in the same vein, even some rather new posts are already appearing toward the top of the list. And, thanks to the new blog category that came along with that one, I suppose we won’t have a shortage of stories and photos to share in the next four years, either.

Living apart from our family and many of our friends remains challenging, but marking this milestone makes me realize we are far from alone. Thank you for being a part of our lives—both online and in person. We are grateful!

1. Posted by Rebecca's Mom on April 18, 2012 at 9:23 am

Aw, the memories! How sweet! I spent hours the other evening reading posts from Bryan’s original blog. Time passes by too quickly.

If only you had looked back at the “Purse” post the last time you were looking for your passport. I would have saved a trip to our safe deposit box. Didn’t you eventually find it in Ava’s daycare file? More blog fodder.

Congrats on the huge milestone! Glad to be a part of such huge numbers! And so happy to have had “the blog” to make the distance between us seem so very much closer!

2. Posted by Rebecca on April 18, 2012 at 9:25 am

The funny thing is, I need that passport next month, and I have no idea where it is…

3. Posted by Karyl on April 18, 2012 at 4:13 pm

That is not especially funny, Rebecca – since you don’t have time to get a replacement if you are needing it next month. I have to admit that I spent several hours this morning rereading all of the posts you referred to. And – I actually laughed outloud – at 4AM about the purse – I have been chuckling about it all day. I love the photos of Ava at the Disney Salon, the whole episode of Olivia and the crown – and Bryan’s post about Ava’s ‘haircut’! Hats off to you Rebecca – as your Mom so aptly put it – it really does make it seem like we are so much closer, and we really appreciate the constant updates and photos of the kids! BTW – Jessica never explained about the stuff in Greenie that you asked about – maybe we should force her to confess!

4. Posted by Gramma Great on April 18, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I, too, spent lots of time today re-reading the entries you mentioned. I think my very favorite picture is the one of the girls sitting by the lake with their arms tightly around each other. Of course, as Karyl said, others stand out too, such as Ava’s new haircut and Olivia with her tiara. We so appreciate you keeping us up-to-date with your household and we agree with your Mom and Karyl, it makes you seem not so far away.

Keep up the good work! Reading the new entires is a highlight of my day! And the the numbers show that I’m not the only one!

5. Posted by Laugh at Jessie on April 18, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Rebecca, congrats…I love your blog and love that you let us in to your every day life.

6. Posted by Laura on April 19, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Great blog! Great chronicle of your lives. I think blogs are an amazing tool, but you execute yours with such beauty, wit, and charm. So happy to be able to read along!

7. Posted by Doug Smith on April 20, 2012 at 8:42 am

Okay, there went an hour of my life, reading Rebecca’s (and Bryan’s) greatest hits. Thanks for making it so easy to relive these highlights!