Overhead: Empathy comes with age

I left work today in teeth-clenching, eye-twitching state. I expressed this to the girls on the way home, saying that I wanted to find a way to relax ahead of what was going to be a fun night—Bryan returns from a long trip away, Katie and Tom are joining us for dinner, and we’re expecting good storms this evening.

I said that I was feeling anxious and stressed, and I asked if they had any suggestions to feel happier—music? Dancing? After I poured my heart out to these two little people, I received two responses.

The first, from Olivia: “I have an owie in my nose.”

The second, from her older (and perhaps wiser) sister: “Well, first, you could stop reading work emails at night. Then, you can go home, take off your heels, and sit on the deck with a drink. Maybe look at shoes online.”

When I caught her eye in the rearview mirror, she said, “What? I know you.”

Indeed.

1. Posted by Karyl on June 3, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Wow – she is wise beyond her years! I do hope you took her advice!!!

2. This is superb, Rebecca . . .

3. Posted by Rebecca's Mom on June 3, 2014 at 6:39 pm

I’m sorry you’ve had such a stressful day. You and your brother-in-law can aid in keeping my evening less stressful if you do not go storm chasing. Thank you.

4. Posted by Rebecca on June 3, 2014 at 6:42 pm

I may choose wine over storm spotting. Those two things don’t really go hand in hand. And, thank you, Doug–I have great material at my disposal.

5. Makes me cry, this is so sweet. Hope you took her advice!

6. Posted by Gramma Great on June 4, 2014 at 7:23 am

Or…..you could come to Little Birch, sit on the deck with a cup of coffee and look at the early morning glass-like lake! It is a gorgeous view!

7. Posted by Rebecca on June 4, 2014 at 8:54 am

I am counting the days!

8. Posted by Rebecca's Mom on June 5, 2014 at 10:16 pm

We could put Bailey’s in that coffee. (We, too, are counting the days!)

9. Posted by Karyl on June 6, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Or, she could use that coffee cup that says ‘this might be ‘vodka’ – did I get that right??