A hike up the hill

Every so often, Ava insists on walking to school by herself. It’s a short three blocks, and Bryan usually follows behind her, circling in and out of the neighborhood cul-de-sacs so he can keep an eye on her.

This morning, I offered to watch her make her way up the hill. I got a bit of a later start than Bryan would have liked, and he waited impatiently while watching her from the end of the driveway.

His “There’s a shady looking van–hurry up!” was met with my, “Good god, man, calm down. How do you sleep?”

I have to say, though, as I watched Ava navigate the one and only intersection (four cars seemed to come out of nowhere the moment her foot hit the street!), I felt an remarkable mix of fear and pride. She was extremely cautious, and obviously pleased with her independence.

By the way, there’s just four more days of first grade…

1. Posted by Rebecca's Mom on May 18, 2012 at 10:20 am

Posts such as this should be prefaced with a (Grand)Parental Advisory!!!

2. Posted by Gramma Great on May 18, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I definitely agree with Rebecca’s Mom!

3. Posted by Rebecca on May 18, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I worry a bit about how you two are going to handle her learner’s permit. 😉

4. Posted by Laura on May 19, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Such a sweet post! I have been really amazed in the weeks since Ava’s birthday how much more grown up she suddenly seems.

5. Posted by Laugh at Jessie on May 20, 2012 at 10:18 am

Does she know you follow her?

6. Posted by Karyl on May 20, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I would be following her, too, if I was there! Makes me cry, actually! Laura is right – Ava seems very much more grown up….happening way too fast!

7. Posted by Rebecca on May 22, 2012 at 4:27 pm

She does know, Jess. She waves happily until she gets onto the school grounds, then she shoos us away.