Easter preparations

I tried a couple of new Easter egg tricks this year, courtesy of Pinterest.

The first was an Alton Brown recipe that suggested baking eggs directly on the oven racks for 30 minutes at 325 degrees. This worked very well, at least for for the first 25 minutes—after that, the eggs began to explode. I can’t decide if the situation is helped or hindered by the fact the oven hasn’t been cleaned since roughly 2007. Either way, I have another project ahead of me this weekend.

The second trick was using Kool-Aid to dye eggs. It was certainly easier than mixing vinegar and food coloring, though I will say I didn’t have quite the spectrum for which I was hoping. We stirred up green and blue the old fashioned way to expand the palette, and then the girls set to work.

1. Posted by Doug Smith on April 7, 2012 at 2:35 pm

What darling girls!

2. Posted by Doug Smith on April 7, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Hey, I see you are only 461 hits away from 100,000. Since what date?

3. Posted by Karyl on April 7, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Beautiful eggs! The girls are very industrious there – we will be using plastic eggs here, I hate to say! More pictures please!

4. Posted by Rebecca on April 7, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I hadn’t noticed that, Doug! I moved to WordPress about four years ago–March of 2008.

5. Posted by Rebecca's Mom on April 7, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Awwww! Such sweeties!

6. Posted by Dawn on April 8, 2012 at 10:30 am

I, too, recently saw the recipe for baking the eggs. Thanks for the update – I’ll stick with Martha’s tried and true 13 minute method. Happy Cleaning! 🙂