Ava’s new accessories

My parents made me wait an agonizingly long time to have my ears pierced—nine years, to be exact. (Dad took me to Dr. Knosp’s office the morning of my ninth birthday, and then proceeded to pass out during the actual piercing.)

I always said that I wouldn’t put an arbitrary age limit on this rite of passage for my girls, and so when Ava asked about it shortly before her sixth birthday, I said, “Sure.” Turns out her father had other ideas. And, so, she waited.

Finally, a week before her seventh birthday, I took Ava downtown to Claire’s, the one location for piercing in our little city. A store manager and assistant, both dressed in St. Patrick’s Day garb (including green, feathered false eyelashes), stabbed permanent holes in my daughter’s ears. There was a point at which I realized why my parents waited, but I am loathe to admit that…

Once the hole placement was marked with purple marker, the piercers worked on both ears simultaneously. Ava didn’t even grimace…

Seriously, her expression never changed.

She did manage a smile once it was done, of course.

One benefit of waiting a bit is that Ava can care for her new earring entirely by herself, with only a reminder here or there. They are healing nicely, and she’s already picked out the pair she’ll switch to when her six week wait is up.

1. Posted by Doug Smith on April 2, 2012 at 10:31 am

This post is so uplifting. Very sweet! She is a young lady now!

2. Posted by Laura on April 2, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Love that last photo! She’s such a cutie, and — I agree — so grown up!

3. Posted by Karyl on April 2, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Wow, I may be brave enough now to have my ears re-pierced. I stopped wearing earrings when the kids were little because they kept trying to pull them out, and the openings are no longer openings. I was 16 when I had mine done, and I had to hide the fact, as my parents had forbidden me to do that. Unfortunately, one day, as I was running my fingers through my hair, my Dad noticed, and all hell broke loose. I am still alive….although I was in question at the time. She is so adorable – and I wonder if she will wear a different pair every day after she is all healed up – considering the stash she got for her birthday, she could probably go almost two weeks with a different pair every day!

4. Posted by Laugh at Jessie on April 2, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Thanks so much for this post. Ava is so brave and beautiful. I think I even cringed when I got mine pierced at 13?? I think I had to wait until then but can’t remember for sure.

5. Posted by Rebecca's Mom on April 2, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Dr. Knosp pierced my ears also, but I’m pretty sure I was at least 13. Ava look so grown up! Such a pretty little girl!

6. Posted by Katie on April 3, 2012 at 8:26 am

This is all happening a bit too fast!