Overheard – Boston Edition

Katie, issuing a warning about her cat, Sophie: “If she goes for you, cover your head.“

Bec: “What time is it?”

Gramma: ”In Lincoln or in Boston?”

Ava, to Katie, after waiting in line for Swan boats for 45 minutes and immediately before boarding: “I have to go potty.”

Bec: “What time is it?”

Gramma: “It’s 1:30 in Lincoln, 2:30 in Boston.”

Mom: “I lost my blue scrunchie somewhere.”

Bec: “Did you check 1986?”

Ava: “So, this is your school!”

Katie: “Yep.”

Ava: “Do you sometimes cry at school?”

Katie: “….sometimes.”

Bec: “What time is it?”

Gramma: “Boston time or Lincoln time?”

Ava, to Gramma, during a valiant effort to distract her from a tantrum: “Water will not make me happy!”

Bec; “What time is it? IN BOSTON?”

Ava, to me, in a very crowded area of Boston Garden: “You’re not my mom!”

Ava: “Are you sad? Why are you crying?”

Katie: “I am sad. I will miss you.”

Ava: “I know, but I always come back to see you.”

1. Posted by Doug Smith on April 30, 2008 at 9:57 am

Thanks for the quotes. Really captures the experience! Hilarious!

2. Posted by Laura on April 30, 2008 at 1:01 pm

I second that. Sounds like a funny trip!

3. Posted by Double L on April 30, 2008 at 3:55 pm

Me, three.

4. Posted by Rebecca's Mom on April 30, 2008 at 8:46 pm

Since Gramma is temporarily without Internet access, I read these over the phone to her tonight. You are in BIG trouble!

And, since she doesn’t have Internet access, I can safely say that no one can even imagine how many times Gramma quoted the time in both EST and CST — it’s been a “thing” with the two of them for years and years and years. DST only complicates matters . . .

5. Posted by Karyl on May 1, 2008 at 6:25 am

Deb, you better watch out – I remember once when Rebecca posted thinking you didn’t have internet access, and you did! Beware!

6. Posted by Doug Smith on May 1, 2008 at 10:56 am

Time zones and daylight savings are a mystery to Karyl. Many of our clocks stay the same year-round. And she can never remember if New York is an hour ahead or an hour behind . . . .

7. Posted by Doug Smith on May 1, 2008 at 11:00 am

And whenever she wakes up in the middle of the night, she always yells, in a quasi-frantic, very groggy voice, “What time is it?” When I tell her, (regardless of the hour) she emits a sound of disgust and anxiety, as if to say, “How could it possibly be so late/early?”, and immediately falls back to sleep.

8. Posted by smithfamilyweblog on May 1, 2008 at 1:13 pm

Ha!

9. Posted by Rebecca's Mom on May 1, 2008 at 7:57 pm

Doug, I would say you are in more trouble with Karyl than I will be with Gramma Great!